Thursday, January 5, 2012

Recipe - Home made museli/granola



I haven't shared a recipe for awhile and I thought that I would share this one for museli/granola as I am contsnatly making it for myself and my husband.  I have also put it into the lovely French preserving jars and given it for a gift tied with a nice ribbon - it's great for people that are hard to buy for.

I also think that it is much better value to make your own museli than to buy it as any of the ones that I like are about $10 for a small box and my husband doesn't like sultanas and most of them have sultanas.



This is what it looks like after it has been toasted and turned over a few times.  
The ingredients that I use change all of the times depending on what we have, what I need to use up, what is on special at the shop and who I am making it for.  I have not specified amounts because you just need to use your eye and the amounts change depending on what baking tray you use etc.


Ingredients

Rolled Oats
Bran
Coconut flakes or dessicated coconut
LSA mix
Raw Almonds
Pepitas
Sunflower Seeds
Banana Chips (I think these are vile but they are easy enough to pick out...)
Treacle
Maple Syrup
Brown Rice Syrup
Almond oil (this can be any vegetable oil that doesn't have a string taste)



 

Method
1. Preheat the oven to about 180.  Line a baking tray with foil (so much easier that soaking and scrubbing - I have tested).

2.  Add all dry ingredients to tray.

3.  Pour over wet ingredients.  You only need a tiny bit of oil to help everything move around in the tray easily and also the treacle is VERY strong - go steady.

4.  Mix everything well and bake for 10 minutes.  I have to set a timer or I forget and it burns quite quickly because of the complex sugars.

5.  Mix again and put back for another 10 - 15 minutes (I also rotate my tray and change shelves - I have a traditional oven).

6.  When toasty remove and mix.  Leave to cool for 5 minutes than decant into a lovely jar.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...